Stefanie Schwarz is a Communication Designer with a focus on typography and type design. Her research explores analogue, digital, traditional and future design methods and technologies. Her most recent research investigates generative and interactive type and how this opens up the design process by involving the audience or elements of chance.
Stefanie studied in Germany and the US before completing an MA at Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design. She worked as a freelance designer since 2006, academic assistant from 2006-2010 (School of Design, Pforzheim University) and since 2012 has been teaching in typography and type design (Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design).
Stefanie’s work has been on display at group exhibitions in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, the United States and Japan. Her typeface “More Modern” is released by the Digital Type Foundry T26 (Chicago) and “Polymorph” by FontShop International (Berlin).
Magazine articles (selection):
– Responsive Types, in: PAGE 11.2012
– showroom : stefanie schwarz, in: Novum 03/2011
– What do you think? Interviews about OpenType and Unicode, in: Slanted # 05, September 2007
– A truly global font, in: Form, March/April 2007
– OpenType kontrovers in: PAGE 02.2007
Work published in books (selection):
– Stop, think, go, do: How typography and graphic design influence behavior (Rockport Publishers, 2012)
– Neuland: The future of German graphic design (Actar, 2009)
– Super Identity (Gingko Press, 2009)
– Graphic Design Inspirations (daab Verlag, 2008)
– Type Directors Club New York (2007, 2008, 2009, 1010, 2013)
– output award (2012)
– German Design Award, Nomination (2012)
– Tokyo Type Directors Club (2008)